How to extend your visa in Canada?
When you first get your study permit, you may notice that its expiry date is the date your degree or programme ends, plus 90 days. And if your passport expires before the programme end date, then your study permit will expire along with your passport. So it would save a lot of time and hassle if you renewed your passport before you apply for the permit.
When can you apply for post graduate work permit?
If you intend to work in Canada after studying there, you can be a part of the Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) Programme. In this, individuals who are international and have graduated from a post-secondary institution can apply and get a three-year work permit. In addition, having a job offer at the time of application is not necessary. However, you must submit the application within 90 days of the end date of your programme.
What is basic eligibility criteria for a PGWP?
- You should be a full time student, in a programme that is more than eight months in duration.
- You are going to graduate from a school that is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- You should submit an application for a work permit within 90 days of receiving your diploma, degree, or written confirmation from your school that you have successfully completed the programme.
- You have a valid study permit at the time of the application.
How long is a post-graduation work permit valid?
- For a three-year work permit, your program must have a duration of minimum two years.
- If your program runs from eight months to two years, then you are eligible for a work permit of the same duration as the program of study.
How to apply for a work permit?
- Start and submit your application at gc.ca.
- Processing time is 4 – 6 weeks, so plan ahead!
- Application fee is $255 CAD.
- Documents needed are: Passport/travel document and proof of successful completion of program. Other documents may be required depending on the situation.
Things to keep in mind about post-graduation work permit:
- If you have a PGWP, you can leave Canada and return as long as the PGWP is still valid on the date you return.
- The PGWP cannot be renewed.
- Once the duration of this work permit ends, you will have to apply for a different permit or visa, if you want to continue working in Canada.
- You can only receive one PGWP in total.
- For example, if you obtain a PGWP after your Bachelor’s degree, work for two years, and do a Master’s degree, you cannot apply for another PGWP after your Master’s degree.
This opportunity allows you to continue staying in Canada and pursue your career of choice, even if you do not have a job offer while applying for the work permit. That being said, submit the application well in advance, in case additional documents are required.