Recognized as one of the most beautiful campuses in the world, the University of British Columbia (UBC) becomes home to more than 60,000 students every academic year. The institution has two campuses, in the city of Vancouver and in valley of Okanagan. The Vancouver campus holds more than 10,000 international students, with 15,000 faculty and staff. In the year 2016-2017, more than 800 Indian students were enrolled in different courses at the University of British Columbia. Beauty is not the only thing the students come for, as the school is consistently ranked in the top 30 universities worldwide.
As a prospective graduate student, you have numerous course options to choose from, catering to all types of interests and strengths. The top courses offered by UBC Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies are:
- Master of Science in Materials Engineering
- MS in Planning
- Master of Science in Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Master of Engineering Leadership in Clean Energy Engineering
This varies from program to program, but the general requirements are a TOEFL score, IELTS score, and a GRE/GMAT score. Some programs may require all three, some may require only one score to be submitted. In addition, some disciplines, particularly in science, have pre-requisites and specific course requirements to be completed before applying to the program.
For Indian students, UBC Graduate School requires a four-year Bachelor’s Degree or a Master’s degree, with a minimum of 65% or an 8 on a 10-point scale.
It is advisable to check the requirements for the major you are planning to apply to thoroughly to be prepared.
UBC uses an online application system for all submissions and reviews. The application will ask you to submit a soft copy of the following (hard copy may be asked in some cases):
- Online application and fee
- Transcripts from all post-secondary studies in the past
- Letters of reference, minimum three. The references should be academic-based, and can be electronic or paper-based.
- English proficiency exams scores (if needed)
- GRE/GMAT test scores (if needed)
- Criminal Record Check (if needed)
- Statement of Interest (if needed)
- Finding a research supervisor (if needed)
The application takes about an hour, and a non-refundable application fee of CAD $165 is required to officially submit the application. Visa or MasterCard is accepted.
Application deadlines vary for each program, so check the UBC website for updated information.
Tuition fee varies per program, although the average is around CAD $10,000 per year.
Official website – www.ubc.ca