If you are looking to pursue a Master of Science (MS) in Computer Science from Canada, consider McGill University as one of your top choices. The School of Computer Science at McGill University is known to be one of the leading in the field with cutting edge teaching and research centers. The MS and PhD programs integrate coursework and research and during the MS program you have an added option of completing a thesis as well. All programs have research grants which help fund your degree.
The many areas covered under Computer Science courses include :
- Theory: algorithms, programming languages, cryptography, logic and computation, scientific computing
- Systems: computer games, distributed systems, modeling and simulations, networks, software engineering
- Applications: bioinformatics, robotics, machine learning
The degrees offered at McGill are :
- MS in Computer Science (with Thesis) : For those strongly interested in research, as it is considered an entry point for a PhD in the same field. It is also a good option for students who want to work in challenging projects after they graduate.
- MS in Computer Science (without Thesis) : For students who want to be prepared for the job markets by building skills in advanced computer science courses.
- MS in Computer Science: Bioinformatics (with Thesis) : This course combines biological and medical sciences with computer science and mathematics. The course is research-based, as students learn to design experiments, analyze datasets, present bioinformatics, and use statistics.
- MS in Computer Science : Computational Science & Engineering (with Thesis): If you are interested in numerical and modeling methods, and computer technology, consider this option.
- PhD in Computer Science : Learn to become an independent researcher in this field, in the industry or in a research lab.
Admissions Requirements for Master’s
- Bachelor’s Degree with coursework in Computer Science (see details of courses here)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 out of 4.0, although if your CGPA is slightly lower but you are strong in math and computer science, then your application will be considered
- Statement of Purpose
- GRE is required if you are applying with a degree from outside Canada
- English Language Proficiency Certificate
- Explore programs, course structures to find a course that best suits your subject interests and aspirations.
- Connect with the department to get more information on the program requirements, deadlines and find a supervisor.
- Check the list of required supporting documents and apply online.
- Upload your documents
- Accept your offer from McGill University
McGill University is one of Canada’s oldest and most prestigious education institutes. It also features in Top 50 in QS World University Rankings 2019. Its academic reputation and research-intensive courses continue to attract students from over 150 countries around the globe. Visit https://mcgill.ca/admissions/ to know more about courses on offer and how to apply.